As it gets warmer, many families are heading towards the pool to cool off and relax. If you have a pool at your house, it’s important to remember some tips to keep everyone safe and enjoying their time.
- Safety drain covers should be in compliance – keep children away from drains, pipes, and other openings.
- Pumps should be functioning.
- You may want to consider investing in life-saving equipment like reaching poles or life-rings.
- Keep an eye on children when they are around the water – everyone should be aware of basic water safety tips.
- Have a charged phone ready and available at all times in case of an emergency.
- Make sure you know if there is anyone nearby who does NOT know how to swim.
- Be aware if there is anyone nearby who knows CPR (for both children and adults). Learn CPR and other water safety/rescue techniques yourself.
- Share safety tips with family, friends, and neighbors.
- Install a fence around the pool at least four feet tall, with a self-latching gate.
- Installing a pool and gate alarms will help alert you if children have entered the pool area.
- Maintain the pool cover.
- The one I alway got in trouble for – no running around the pool!
Many of these tips also apply to lakes, rivers and streams.
There are many ways to keep pool-goers safe and protected. Here’s what The American Red Cross recommends. Stay safe, help those in need, have a fantastic summer 2017.
With 20+ years experience in residential and investment real estate sales, property management and pre-purchase consultation. Matt is an Ohio licensed Realtor currently working as Sales Manger at Real Property Management.Contact him directly at [email protected] or on twitter @CincySalesGuy