A wood deck needs to be cleaned regularly and refinished with stain or sealer every few years to protect the wood from the sun’s UV rays, mold, mildew, rain, and other weather conditions. Replacing rotted wood or an entire deck can be very expensive….Here’s how to go about protecting it.
1. Wet down and/or cover any pets, vegetation etc.
2. Put on protective clothing, goggles, and rubber gloves.
3. Apply a deck cleaning solution, or a mixture of diluted bleach and detergent (1 qt. bleach to 3 qt. water plus 1/4 cup laundry detergent that doesn’t contain ammonia), in a garden sprayer to the deck.
4. Allow the cleaning solution to remain for the recommended time, or 15 to 20 minutes for diluted bleach.
5. Use a pressure washer or stiff bristle deck brush to remove any mold, dirt, and grime.
6. Rinse the deck thoroughly with water from a garden hose.
7. Allow the wood to dry at least 24 hrs. before applying a stain or sealer.
Do you have a comment to share with the group? Please do so below. Real Property Management is the nation’s leading property manager. For over 30 years, Real Property Management has developed intelligent solutions for thousands of individual property owners, investors, tenants and Realtors.