Don’t worry folks, winter is almost over! But there are still plenty of chilly days ahead that will no doubt require your home to be heated. Space heaters are a great alternative to using residential furnaces because they are energy efficient and can quickly and evenly heat a room. However, they aren’t without risks, so it’s important to know about space heater safety.
Space heaters causes thousands of house fires every year. Modern space heaters have incorporated new technology — like circuit breakers and automatic shutoffs — to help prevent accidents, but they are not foolproof. No matter what type of space heater you may choose to use, it’s still very important to follow these safety tips:
1. Keep flammable items at least three feet away from the heating device.
2. Teach your children about the heat that heaters put out and have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around your space heaters.
3. Do not leave portable heaters running when leaving the room or going to bed.
4. If you are using a fuel-burning space heater, only use the type of fuel recommended by the manufacturer.
5. Test smoke alarms on a regular basis.
Can you provide some more space heater safety tips? Anyone know of the best, safest brand of space heater?